Helping your child with homework.
This section will give you some ideas on how to help your child with homework.
Tips for good homework habits for parents
- Do find a quiet place at home to use as a homework area. It needs a flat surface, a good light source and the right equipment eg pens, pencils, ruler, scissors, glue.
- Do be aware of modern teaching methods, eg in long division.
- Do plan a homework timetable and agree on when your child will do their homework.
- Do allow your child to have something nutritional to eat before starting on homework.
- Do discuss any homework tasks with your child and how it connects with what they are studying at school.
- Do turn off the TV - but you could have music on if they find it helpful.
- Don't give your child the answer in order to get a task finished. Instead, explain how to look up information or find a word in a dictionary.
- Don't teach your child methods you used at school. It could confuse them.
- Don't let homework become a chore. Keep it fun and make it a special time that you both look forward to.
(From BBC Primary)
Click on the links below to find out more!